STEP 1. On Computer 1, add a new folder to Sync. There are several ways how you can do that:
- click the "+" button in the upper left-hand corner
- add a folder through the contextual menu of your file browser (Windows and Mac)
- drag and drop the folder into the Sync window
STEP 2. If you have clicked "+" in the window above, choose the type of folder: Standard, Advanced or Encrypted folder, as well as share files. Advanced folder and file sharing are available only in Pro licenses version.
When the folder type is picked, Sync will show a Share window where you'll be able to choose some additional sharing options. Note that depending on the type of folder you've chosen - Standard or Advanced - Sync will show a different Share screen.
Sync Share screen features three tabs corresponding to the three ways of sharing a folder with another person: by link, key or QR code.
Sync Share screen features two tabs - Link and QR code:
- Standard folder Share window features one extra tab - Key, which lets you copy a sharing key (to be pasted into the Sync manual connection box on another device).
- The Permission section of Standard folders offers only two permissions: Read Only and Read & Write. All peers act as owners, that is, whether a peer has a RO or R&W key, that peer can continue sharing the folder with others.
- Advanced folders come with three permissions: Read Only, Read & Write and Owner. Sharing can be established through Link or QR code.
- Standard and Advanced folders have the same security options.
At the foot of the screen you can see the possible ways of sharing a folder with another person:
- 'Email' will automatically open the default mail client and paste the link into the body of the letter.
- 'Copy' will copy the link to clipboard. You can then paste the link into your preferred messenger, chat dialog, e-mail, etc.
The QR code tab will display a QR code which can be scanned with a mobile device.
When another person receives the link, all they have to do is just click on it. (Alternatively, they can open the manual connection box and paste the link into it . Once that is done, the default browser on their computer will open a page on the Resilio website. If that is their first experience with Sync, they will be asked if Sync is already installed:
To add the folder to Sync on Computer 2, click 'Connect':
When you first connect a folder on Computer 2, you'll see a "Selective Sync" toggle in the Connect to folder dialog.
- If you leave "Selective Sync" OFF, this device will immediately start downloading ALL the content in the folder (including the full contents of any subfolders and nested folders).
- If you turn it ON, Sync will only receive placeholder information, which you can use to sync the information later. For more info, refer to this article.
Once Computer 2 adds the shared folder, an approval request will be sent to Computer 1. Once Computer1 approves connection, the folder will be added and synchronization will start. Devices, linked to your identity are approved of by default.
To make extra sure you are about to share your data with the right person, you can click on the identity (name) of the person who sent an approval request. This will show the details. Here you can review the person's name, their IP address, fingerprint (click here to learn where you can see your fingerprint) and approval request receipt date. Additionally, you can change permission type issued while sharing link was being sent.